- 1 fillet Dutch Yellowtail
- 1 large beet, peeled and grated
- ¾ cup / 150 g sugar
- ¾ cup / 150 g salt
- Ground black pepper
- A few sprigs of dill
- 1 pound / ½ kg Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ½ cup / 120 g sour cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup / 34 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp / 15.5 g dark rye flour
- 1½ tsp / 7.5 g kosher salt
- ½ tsp / 1.15 g finely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp / 3 g baking soda
- 2 tbsp / 6 g minced chives
- 3 tbsp / 44 ml oil
- ½ cup / 120 g sour cream or creme fraîche
- Chopped chives and dill sprigs
To make Beet Cured Yellowtail, spread half of the grated beets in a small container, top with half of the sugar and salt mixture, black pepper, a sprig of dill, and nest the fish on top, and then again top with dill, sprinkle with sugar and salt and beet. Close with a lid and refrigerate for 48 hours. After that, the fish is fully cured and ready for serving.
To make the blini, wash and scrub a pound of potato. Roast at 425 °F for about an hour or until the potato is soft.
Mix together the all-purpose flour, rye flour, and baking soda.
Cool and peel the potato, put it through a potato ricer, and mix with two eggs, one egg yolk, sour cream salt, black pepper, and minced chives.
In a non-stick pan, heat the oil and dollop a tablespoon-size blini. Fry on both sides until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
Arrange warm blini on a serving platter and top with sour cream, thinly sliced beet-cured yellowtail, dill sprigs, and minced chives.