Dutch Yellowtail Tempura Soba Noodle Soup
- 4 oz/113 g dried soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
- 2 cups/480 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp/15 ml mirin
- 1 tbsp/15 ml soy sauce
- ½ cup/120 ml Kikkoman Tempura mix
- ⅓ cup/80 ml of water
- 1 8 oz/225 g Dutch Yellowtail fillet
- 1-2 cups/240-480 ml vegetable oil or avocado oil
- ¼ tsp/1.2 ml Shichimi Togarashi 7 Spice
- ¼ tsp/1.2 ml Furikake
- 1 tbsp/15 ml of green onion/scallion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp/15 ml cilantro
- 3 tbsp/45 ml carrot
- ¼ cup/60 ml sauteed mushrooms
- ¼ cup/60 ml bean sprouts
- ¼ tsp/1.2 ml tsp serrano chili
- ½ tsp/2.5 ml sesame oil
To Make Noodle Soup
- Combine stock, mirin, and soy sauce in a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Pour oil at least 2 inches deep into a skillet. Heat oil between 350° to 360°F.
- In a small bowl mix batter and water until blended.
- Slice fillet into 3 equal strips and pat dry.
- Dip one piece into the batter, quickly sliding into hot oil. Deep-fry 2 to 4 minutes
- until cooked and golden brown, turning pieces over. Remove and drain on paper towels.
To Prepare Toppings
- Thinly slice green onion, chili, cilantro, and carrot.
- Saute mushrooms in olive oil and season with salt.
To Cook Soba Noodles
- Heat a pot of water for cooking soba noodles. Unlike pasta, you do not need to add salt to the water.
- Cook soba noodles according to the package instructions, but 30 seconds less than directed.
- Drain the soba noodles and wash the noodles with your hand under cold water for the best texture.
- Place the soba noodles in a serving bowl. Pour hot broth over the noodles. Place toppings: tempura fish, sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, chilis, scallions, cilantro, and drizzle sesame oil.
- Sprinkle togarashi and furikake.