Dutch Yellowtail Sandwich with Slaw and Spicy Mayo
- 1 package of Dutch Yellowtail fish (8 oz/225g filet)
- 1 package of Hawaiian rolls
- 1 bunch of thinly sliced scallions (white part only)
- 2 cups/475ml panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup/60ml low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp/30ml sesame oil
- 2 tbsp/30ml mirin
- 2 tsp/10ml Red Boat fish sauce
- 3 tbsp/45ml ginger peeled & zested
- 2 tbsp/30ml zested garlic
- 1.5 tsp/7.5ml salt
- 2 tbsp/30ml avocado/flaxseed oil
- 1 cup/240ml Kewpie mayo
- 1/4 cup/60ml Sriracha
- 1/2 cup/120ml lime juice
- 1/2 tsp/2.5ml salt
- 1 small cabbage (about 2 cups)
- 1 small carrot peeled
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 bunch scallion (green part only)
- 1/2 of 1 large cucumber
- Cut the yellowtail into 1-inch pieces. If you have a food processor, pulse the fish and salt until it resembles ground meat. If you don’t, lay the fish on a cutting board, sprinkle salt over the fish, and chop until small pieces remain. Make sure it’s cut to an even size so the fish cooks evenly. Place the fish in a bowl & add sliced scallion whites, panko, eggs, soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and mix.
- Mandolin with the julienne attachment (thin-pronged attachment, for thin-strip cuts) or hand-cut thin strips of cabbage, carrot, onion, and scallion greens, and place in a bowl, adding a pinch of salt.
- Thinly slice rounds of cucumbers and add a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Mix Kewpie Mayo, Sriracha, lime, and salt in a bowl. Taste and adjust spice by adding more mayo for less heat and more Sriracha for more heat. Add 1/4 cup/60ml of the spicy mayo to the slaw and mix.
- Preheat cast iron on medium-high heat with a neutral oil like avocado oil. Once the oil shimmers, add a tennis ball size scoop of the fish to the pan, making sure it’s sizzling when it’s added to the pan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until the internal temperature hits 135 degrees F.
- While the fish cooks, add spicy mayo to the bottom of your buns. Next layer the cucumbers.
- Once the fish patties are cooked, lay them on the bun and place slaw & bun on top.