Citrus Smoke Seared Dutch Yellow Tail
Chef Eric Gephardt
- 2 portions Dutch Yellow Tail
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt, Kosher
- 3 Each Lemon
- 3 Each Lime
- 2 Each Orange (Medium Size)
- 1 Tablespoon Black and White Sesame Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce or Braggs
- Amino Acids
- 3 Drops Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, Rough Chop
- ¼ Each Serrano Pepper, Sliced into Thin Rounds
- 1 Chunk Smoking Wood (I Chose Maple)
- Stabilize your grill at 500F/260 C and prepare for a direct sear.
- Citrus Sesame Crust: While the grill is coming to temperature use a microplane to zest all of the lemons, limes and oranges. Once you have zested all of the citrus add the black and white sesame seeds to the mix and gently toss until evenly distributed. Reserve for later use.
- Charred Citrus Drizzle: Cut the lemon, limes and oranges in half and place them on the grill for 3 minutes until they are slightly charred then juice them into a non-reactive container. Once juiced, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, chopped ginger sliced serrano peppers. Reserve for later use.
- Smoke Sear: Smoke should be used as a powerful seasoning and I love to seal the essence of it in a quick crust. Notice I used a pan on the grill for this sear. This is a method I use often when looking for 100% connectivity for a brilliant quick even sear on the grill. Place a grill safe pan on the grill grate, bring it to temperature. Place the wood chunk in the hottest portion of the coals, this will give you the cleanest smoke. Oil the pan, salt season the fish and roll it in the citrus sesame mixture. Place the fish in the pan and close the dome for 45 seconds of smoke sear. Flip the fish and repeat on the other side then using a slotted spatula, carefully remove the fish from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board to rest for 2 minutes.
- Spice and Plate: Using a sharp knife, slice your way down the loin cutting slightly thinner than ¼ inch portions. Gently transfer to the presentation plate. Lightly dress the Yellow Tail with the Charred Citrus Drizzle then finish with any excess zest and sesame mixture.