Chef Samuel Monsour
- 2 packs Dutch Yellowtail Top Loin (4 Portions)
- 4 chicken eggs
- 1 lb / 0.45 kg fingerling potatoes, cut in half down the middle
- 1 bunch dino kale, chopped into 1” strips
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 limes
- ½ red onion, shaved thin
- kosher salt & cracked black pepper, as needed
- Everything bagel seasoning, as needed
- Neutral high heat cooking oil, as needed (avocado oil, light olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc.)
Wake up to this powerhouse breakfast: an “Everything Bagel” Crusted Yellowtail with Crispy Fingerling Kale Hash and Fried Egg from Chef @SamuelMonsour.
The perfect way to fuel your morning, it delivers on taste, texture, and nutrients.
- Scoop avocado meat into medium bowl. Add juice and zest of one lime, mash with fork, season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, set aside.
- Shave ½ red onion thin (on mandolin if you have one), place in small bowl. Add juice and zest of one lime, plus pinch of kosher salt. Mix well. When onions turn pink, cover, set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot filled halfway with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat for gentle simmer and cook potatoes until tender (~15-20 mins).
- Submerge kale into water, cover, turn off heat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat large cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add potatoes and kale. Maintain medium heat on hash and cook 3-5 minutes before stirring. When stirring, be sure to scrape pan as well.
- Maintain heat and technique for ~20-25 mins until hash golden brown and crispy. Halfway through preparing the hash, start prepping the fish and eggs.
- Preheat large cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of yellowtail with salt and pepper. Once pan heated, add a few tablespoons of oil. Place fish in pan.
- Cook 3-4 mins, until golden brown. Flip each piece. Cook for 2 more mins, turn heat off, remove pan from heat.
- Crust the top of each fillet with everything bagel seasoning. Rest fish for 5 mins. Prepare your eggs to your liking.
- Schmear avocado mash on bottom of your bowl, pile up the hash, add pinch of pickled red onions, top with Dutch Yellowtail and egg and enjoy!